I suggest you ...

Stop sending the warning to my friends.

My friends could care less that I am using a new version of AIM and I have the right to keep a log of the feature on my computer. No other client does this. It is annoying.

217 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SkylorSkylor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HeatherHeather shared a merged idea: Stop telling me my friend has a new version of AIM and is logging my convos! I'm getting sick of being told after EVERY single message!  ·   · 
    DKDK shared a merged idea: saving messages was such a dumb idea. and now it spams everyone im talking to  ·   · 
    completed  ·  AdamAdam responded  · 

Hi everyone,

Good news! There’s an update coming to AIM soon and we’ll no longer be sending out messages our your behalf.

We really dropped the ball in how we went about communicating changes (and we should have known better).

We’re sorry for any of the confusion or anger this may have caused and we hope you can forgive us.

We want to provide the best possible messaging experience going forward and that means respecting you and the messages sent in your name.

Again – we hope you’ll accept our apologies and give AIM another chance.

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Admin,

Let's be clear - we want to opt out of server logging... PERIOD. If this will not be the case, then AIM has no future in my mid-size private business.

Thanks,

Bill Cunningham, Esquire

F/u/c/k/i/n/g a/s/s/h/o/l/e/s AOL. This is till not fixed. It's part of the new Stasi spy-on-everyone approach to freedom here in the USSA. F/u/c/k them.

I plan on canceling aim due to this, there are other instant messaging apps that dont do this!

This is the worse feature about this new aim, this new aim is not better in my opinion, it has only brought weird attention to the fact, it looks like Im trying to save all conversations with friends.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOL obviously doesn't care, otherwise they'd respond to ... anyone, versus just throwing up Tessa's patronizing attempt to appease the masses. Though entirely insignificant to AOL's user base, I'm just about finished with plans to get all our employees moved off of AIM for daily chat and onto alternative service.

And for "Anonymous" who asserts logging has been happening forever, that's true -- clients have had logging features for a long time. The difference is, those logs are controlled by the end user and can be turned off. AOL's new logging is not user-configurable and the logs are not easily deleted in bulk.

• J D SharpJ D Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

screw aim. I will use google exclusively from now on. IDIOTIC you morons! Don't you read your feedback? GET RID OF THE STUPID FEATURE!

• bobbob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tessa (or whomever), I just went "off the air" so to speak with AIM. Someone in product needs to decide to stop fixing what isn't broken. I didn't ask for my messages to be stored, nor was I asked if it was ok for your systems to do it, nor can I disable this from happening. I can't trust AOL anymore. I'll not use my screenname, use aol webmail or interact (purposefully) with an AOL product ever again.

• BuckBuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a lie that they only get the message ONE SINGLE TIME...They get it MANY TIMES!!! It shouldn't force you to store their messages!!! It's not a privacy issue it's stupid! Stop forcing us to save and stop sending the notice out..it's a simple solution. AIM WAS FINE HOW IT WAS!!

• Tea FougnerTea Fougner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely disagree with this suggestion. As a friend who has gotten this warning, I would be utterly mortified if I found out that AIM was logging my chats and hadn't warned me. In fact, I think I should get this warning EVERY TIME I start a chat with someone who is using new AIM, and not just the first time, because frankly, I don't remember which of my friends are using it and which aren't, and the idea that my conversations are being stored without my knowledge makes me pretty uncomfortable.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used aim since 1997. No more. I am disgusted AIM would send out such a message when privacy against hackers is such a concern. Not only that but it tells the other people on a map WHERE YOU LIVE!! You guys should be shut down. There's a reason aim isn't the number one chat client anymore. I am still showing online even though I'm completely signed out. Apparently, I can't even "sign off." I'm working on deleting everything aol. You guys should be disgusted with yourselves.

• KathyKathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not true. I have gotten this message several times and I do NOT want it again.

• KK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Friends of mine think that I have a virus and that I'm messaging them with spam.

They don't READ the message, they just respond saying "i think you have a virus"

And what you said is not true. They get that message EVERY TIME I start a conversation.

I stopped using AIM because of this. I'm now on Trillian. No problems, but I miss AIM's advanced features.

FIX IT!!!!!

• AllyAlly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin doesn't realize that its not just the first time a convo starts that its sent - its with EVERY MESSAGE and it is infuriating.

• nottennotten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to opt-out of this stupid "feature" and I want my messages to be Off The Record always. PLEASE.

• nottennotten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually not important. You guys have been logging AIM since forever, and so have we. Everyone knows their conversation is logged. You guys are just doing this because you want to spread the word about your crappy AIM preview, and no one really cares. Please, don't annoy us with spam.

• GillesGilles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can one turn this off... It even shows up when I use iChat (not AIM client) !!!!!

I have been a lifetime user of AIM, but I absolutely will not tolerate a chat client that sends this kind of unwarranted "warning" out to every single friend with every single chat that is initiated. Worried about "invading other people's privacy" by storing messages? How about not invading MY privacy by sending all of these horrific spam messages under MY name? My friends and I are boycotting AIM altogether until this auto-respond warning is removed completely.

← Previous 1 3
      AIM logo

AIM has evolved. Learn more at aim.com.

Feedback and Knowledge Base