Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    iMarck90iMarck90 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdamAdam responded  · 

Sorry, we won’t be able to get to this in the short term, but may eventually add it in the future. Thanks for your feedback.

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GladiaGladia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I really think that AOL clients would appreciate AIM for Ubuntu as one more alternative for a cross-platform messenger.

• MichaelTunnell.comMichaelTunnell.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't give a flying **** if AIM was supported on Linux of any flavor as I have Pidgin which already uses it...but besides everyone is turning away from AIM, Yahoo & MSN in favor of Facebook and Google+ Chat so the fact that AIM chooses to ignore a huge market only proves their stupidity and confirms their fate as a needless protocol. So enjoy your downfall.

• David YostDavid Yost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, people can't even vote for THE most popular Idea. Congrats AOL, you're awesome at acting like you care about opinions of users.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Robert Xu, Most of the most popular Linux distros are based on Ubuntu so there shouldn't be much problem in installing AIM if it were made for Ubuntu only.

@Daniel Bech, With all due respect, that isn't relly going to convicne official Linux support by AIM if the point of us supporting a AIM client is jsut so we can say "Look! More companies support Linux!" We should have genuine interest in such a client. But yes, you do have a point, albiet one that I believe shouldn't be stated outright in such a manner.

I've never had problems with using the AIM client back when I was a Windows user so I'd love to use it.

• Robert XuRobert Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you do this, you do it for all platforms or for none. Do not just support Ubuntu and throw other distributions out to the curbside.

• hackelhackel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Linux exclusively, yet I will *never* use a Linux AIM port, even if it is open-source. I encourage everyone to use open, standardized IM protocols such as XMPP (Jabber), the protocol implemented by the Google Talk service along with many others. Google Talk users can currently add and chat with AIM users easily. What I would much rather see is a fully functional XMPP gateway by AOL itself allowing all XMPP users to communicate seamlessly with AIM users.

← Previous 1 3
      AIM logo

AIM has evolved. Learn more at aim.com.

Feedback and Knowledge Base