I suggest you ...

Emoticons please!

How am I supposed to soften my sarcastic comments without emoticons? Help me not to upset my friends...

155 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nichole shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is freaking ridiculous. My AIM 7 stopped working so I had to uninstall, and what do I reinstall? AIM for windows. I have to agree that this version is so backwards. Why does iOS and mac users get emoji or whatever and Window users cant get something as simple as a list of emoticons write next to the text details.. BRING BACK EMOTICONS. Or maybe it's time to go back to AIM express...

Emoticons are clearly present in the program, since I can see the ones sent by someone with an older version of AIM, and ones that have already been sent will work if typed in. So its not that the emoticon function has been removed, just the access to it? Not sure what the point was in doing that except to frustrate people back to version 7.

• xoxo21 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still planned? Cause the last update about this we got seems to have been posted in 2011 and there is still no emoticons on the new AIM for Windows. Just wanted to know what the progress is for this feature.

No emoticons is ridiculous. I just upgraded tonight and I must say I'm not that impressed.

It seems like this is a step back for Windows users. It was easy to express a feeling without putting it into words. Please bring this back for Windows users.

• Bill Miles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And who wants to go to special characters every time we want to put a smiley? Why are we making the basics more complicated?

• JustSayTech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but that even the same, cause if the other person doesnt have emoji then they cant even see the smiley, and what about the desktop clients??? cmon AOL, this was one of your most major features, if im not correct, you guys made it popular, the lack of emoticons are definitely a breaker for me, please i beg for you guys to bring support back

That's great for the Mac/iOs users but what about us Windows users. The Emoticons (especially the seasonal ones) are fun!

• AdminAdam (Product Manager, AIM) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're using iOS or the Mac client you can use Emoji. Under the menu bar at the top of your Mac’s screen click ‘Edit > Special Characters …When the window pops up, select ‘Emoji‘ on the left panel.

AIM logo

AIM has evolved. Learn more at aim.com.

Feedback and Knowledge Base